This 3D model shows the Harlem Fire Watchtower (also known as the Mount Morris Fire Watchtower) with its 1994 white steel stabilization retrofit.
Built in 1857, the four-story Harlem Fire Watchtower is an early example of cast iron architecture in New York. The firetower network fell into disuse in the 1870s when the Fire Department began to install telegraphic alarms on street corners, but retained ownership of the tower until 1913.
Mount Morris Fire Watchtower still stands due to its protected location on parkland. The tower was designated a New York City landmark in 1967 and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. Through the support of the Marcus Garvey Park Conservancy and the Manhattan Borough President, Parks undertook a major stabilization of the structure in 1994.